Friday, August 04, 2006

SF-Creative Roots

sam

Sam Tchakalian (1929-2004)

I've known for a long time now. Sam died. When I found out I wanted to call Paris and tell Dana. I wanted to find Gary and pull him out of his secret hiding place. I wanted to scream from the rooftops. But mostly I wanted to cry.

He was a major influence on many young artists. He badgered and pounded, he smiled and pouted. He got down on the mat and fought with people. He wasn't interested in style, or anything close to fashion. He only demanded one thing: Conviction. No one has come through Sam's teachings without that word ringing in their ears.

I was one of those lucky people. He encouraged me. He helped me believe in myself as an artist. I am forever in his debt.

1 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

Sounds like you were blessed to have known him. I'm sorry for your loss Alex. The world is less a place for the loss of people like this.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home