Tuesday, March 07, 2006

IF-Insect

Bone Butterfly

I remembered one morning when I discovered a cocoon in the bark of a tree, just as the butterfly was making a hole in its case and preparing to come out. I waited a while, but it was too long appearing and I was impatient. I bent over it and breathed on it to warm it. I warmed it as quickly as I could and the miracle began to happen before my eyes, faster than life. The case opened, the butterfly started slowly crawling out, and I shall never forget my horror when I saw how its wings were folded back and crumpled; the wretched butterfly tried with its whole trembling body to unfold them. Bending over it, I tried to help it with my breath. In vain. It needed to be hatched out patiently and the unfolding of the wings needed to be a gradual process in the sun. Now it was too late. My breath had forced the butterfly to appear, all crumpled, before its time. It struggled desperately and, a few seconds later, died in the palm of my hand.

That little body is, I do believe, the greatest weight I have on my conscience. For I realize today that it is a mortal sin to violate the greatest laws of nature. We should not hurry, we should not be impatient, but we should confidently obey the eternal rhythm.

- Nikos Kazentzakis

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love your painting style!! REminded me of Chagall.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Heartful said...

Beautiful picture, looks like it came out of a dream.

11:52 AM  
Blogger trowbridge chronicles said...

I really like your unique approach to painting. I'll look for more of your work in future IFs.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Karen Winters said...

A lovely drawing and a good story to remember ...

Karen
http://www.karensblog.com

3:58 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Lovely story and work. It really is reminiscient of Chagall, who is a favorite of mine!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Pequignot said...

beautiful image...

3:46 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I love the way you put words to a picture. You truly do have an illustrated blog. :o) Incidentally, the story reminded me that you can't help a chicken out of an egg for similar reasons. Everything in its own good time. Thanks for reminding me of this. :o)

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home